Visit www.RIPTA.com to access their easy-to-use
Trip Planner tool, located on their homepage. The Trip Planner will help you find the best RIPTA bus
route to get to the RIDOC. Simply type in your starting address in the "From" tab, then type "40
Howard Ave., Cranston" in the "To" tab. Select the date and time you plan on traveling from the drop
down menus and then click "Get Directions." The Trip Planner will tell you how to get here using
RIPTA. Please plan to arrive at your stop at least five minutes early. Service may be affected by
traffic, construction, accidents or weather conditions. Questions? Contact RIPTA's Customer Service
Department at (401) 781-9400 or CustomerRelations@RIPTA.com.
The RIDOC is served by Routes 21 and 22.
From Route 95 South
- Take Exit 14 to Route 37 West. Take Exit 3 off Route 37 to Pontiac Avenue. At the end of the
exit, take a left. Maximum Security is on your right.
- The Donald Price Medium Security Facility (currently closed) is on the left (not visible from
Pontiac Avenue; take a left onto Slater Street; Price Medium is on Goddard Street, the second
street on the right).
- To reach Minimum Security from Pontiac Avenue, turn right onto Howard Avenue (3rd light).
Minimum Security is on the left (before the intersection with the 4-way stop).
- Turning left at this intersection (after Minimum Security) will lead to Inmate Accounts and the
John J. Moran Medium Security Facility.
- If you take a left before Moran Medium, you will arrive at the former Women’s Facilities (Gloria
McDonald - first building on the right - and Dorothy Dix Buildings - second building on the
left) and the Training Academy (first building on the left). The Dix Building now houses offices
only, including Probation and Parole, Education, and Reentry Services. The Minimum Security and
Work Release female inmates are temporarily being housed in the old GM Building. Medium Security
and Awaiting Trial inmates are housed at the new GM Building located next to the Bernadette
Building, which will eventually house the Minimum and Work Release women.
- Turning right at the intersection after Minimum Security will lead to the the new Gloria
McDonald Women's Awaiting Trial and Medium Security Facility and the Bernadette Building. Turn
left following the signs and you will see the parking lots for these buildings. To get to the
High Security Center, follow Power Road, bearing left; from the bottom of the hill, it’s about
another ½ mile; HSC is on the left.
- To reach Administration Buildings A and B and the (male) Intake Service Center, from Pontiac
Avenue: turn right onto Howard Avenue. Pass Minimum Security (and the 4-way stop intersection).
Administration Buildings A and B are across from each other (A is on the left; B is on the
- Pass these buildings, and the Anthony P. Travisono Intake Service Center is on the right (not
visible from Howard Avenue, but the entrance is clearly marked).
From Route 95 North
- Take Exit 14 B to Route 37 West, then follow directions above.
Note: From T.F. Green Airport, follow directions above (From Route 95 North).