RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |

For Inmates' Friends, Families, and Visitors

The Rhode Island Department of Corrections recognizes that the experience of having a loved one or friend incarcerated is difficult and can be very stressful. We have attempted to centralize the most sought-after offender-related information under one heading in the hopes of making your experience go more smoothly. You are encouraged to explore the entire site as it might answer many of your questions more quickly and efficiently than a phone call or letter.

Table of Contents

  • Directions to the RIDOC
    • For RIPTA bus schedules, click here and select Rte #22 (Pontiac Ave. inbound and outbound, the RIDOC is stops 6 and 7) or Rte #21 (Reservoir/Garden City inbound and outbound, the RIDOC is stop 8).
  • Visitor Dress Code Word Icon
  • Policies You May Find of Interest:
    Inmate Mail PDF Icon
    Inmate Visits PDF Icon
    Access by Attorneys PDF Icon
    Inmate Telephone Use PDF Icon
    Clergy Access PDF Icon
  • Frequently Asked Questions (Many of your questions may be answered in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section, which you can access by clicking here. Topics include Legal Property, Mail, Money, Telephones, Victims, and Visits)
  • Contacting Facilities
    For information related to concerns or complaints about facility operations, please use the directory below. The first number listed for each building is that of the secretary to the Warden who can appropriately direct your call. The mailing addresses are also provided. Be sure to the use the PO Box.


  • A link to contact information for the entire department can be accessed by clicking here.
  • What if I have a concern about my loved one and it is after hours? See the after hours numbers listed above.
  • How do I find information on where someone is housed, their charges, incarceration dates, etc.? Visit our Public Inmate Search (for currently incarcerated inmates only) or call the Records & ID Unit at (401) 462-3900, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Members of the press checking on the status of inmates should call the Public Information Office at (401) 462-2609.
  • How do I contact the Parole Board? For questions related to parole or parolees, please call the Parole Board at (401) 462-0902. For additional information about the Parole Board, click here.
  • Visits: How do I know when I can visit my loved one?
    Visiting schedules for each facility are not posted on the website because they change so often. The best bet is to call the (401) 462-1000 number and follow the prompts to the appropriate facility. The visiting schedule for the week should be recorded. It is the responsibility of the inmate to let his or her loved ones know when he or she can receive a visit. We do not want people making trips unnecessarily only to learn that the inmate is ineligible for a visit or visits have been cancelled or that the inmate has been relocated.
  • Information for Overdose Prevention - please click here.
  • What is considered an acceptable form of photo ID for visits? As noted in the Visits Policy, valid forms of identification are as follows:
    • valid driver's license,
    • military ID, Passport, or
    • ID issued by the Departments of Transportation, Elderly Affairs, Administration, and Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
  • How do I report a concern if I suspect my loved one is being mistreated in prison?
    Inmate abuse is not tolerated by the Rhode Island Department of Corrections.  You are encouraged to bring such matters to the attention of the following:
    • Deputy Warden or Warden of the facility in which your loved one is housed,
    • Assistant Director of Institutions and Operations, or
    • the Director. 

    In addition, this Department has two separate investigatory units—Office of Inspection and Special Investigations Unit—that investigate legitimate complaints regarding both staff and inmate misconduct and matters related to institutional safety and security.  Lastly, there is a State Police presence on the grounds. 

          Office of Inspection – to report staff misconduct
          39 Howard Avenue, Administration Building B, Cranston RI 02920
          via collect call:  401-462-2551

          Special Investigations Unit – to report inmate misconduct
          40 Howard Avenue, Administration Building A, Cranston, RI 02920
          via collect call:  401-462-2282

         Rhode Island State Police Detectives – to report criminal activity
          40 Howard Avenue, Administration Building A, Cranston, RI 02920
          via collect call:  401-462-2650.

  • Inmate life and operational issues (such as showers, telephone privileges, and recreation) are within the Warden’s purview.  Due to the volume of calls to the Director's Office, it is important that both inmates and their loved ones use the existing chain of command when reporting concerns.
  • Individuals who wish to may write to the Director directly.  However, he will refer your correspondence to the proper party, since using the established chain of command will help ensure the appropriate staff member(s) answer(s) your concerns in a timely and consistent manner.  You can send him a copy of any letter you write to any staff member.  However, by writing to the Director only, you are simply delaying any necessary investigation and/or corrective action.
  • How do I notify an inmate of the death of a loved one?
    You should contact the Shift Commander at the facility (see "after hours" numbers above) who will in turn contact the chaplain. The chaplain will notify the inmate of the death as soon as possible.
  • What if I have a concern about my loved one’s medication or health?
    Medical Program Director
    Phone: (401) 462-2678
    Fax: (401) 462-2000
    E-Mail: medical@doc.ri.gov
  • Helpful Publications:
    A Guide for Family & Friends of Male Inmates at the Intake Service Center (English) (Spanish)
    A Guide for Family & Friends of Women at the Intake Facility (English) (Spanish)
    Inmate Handbook
    - Please click here for a guide to new sentence reduction credits, no in place when the handbook was written.
  • Online Resources:
    Stressed by worry and just need to talk? Call The Samaritans of Rhode Island at (401) 272-4044 or (Toll free in RI) 1-800-365-4044, or visit www.samaritansri.org.