RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |

Related Links

Inmate Accounts

Frequently Asked Questions:

How is an inmate’s money accounted for?

Inmates (except in a few specific cases) are not allowed to have money on their person. All moneys that a person brings in upon commitment, all moneys earned while at prison/jail, and all moneys given to the inmate by family/friends are held in trust at the Department’s Inmate Accounts unit.

An inmate may purchase commissary items, subscribe to periodicals, and send money home by charging his/her accounts. Monthly account statements are delivered to each inmate, and confirmation of current balance and transactions can occur at any time.

Where is the Inmate Accounts unit located?

We are located in the John O. Pastore Government Center at 51 West Road, Cranston, RI 02920 (adjacent to the John Moran Facility [Medium Security]).

What are your hours?

Window hours are as follows: Monday thru Friday (closed State Holidays)
9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
1:00 PM to 3:00 PM

Who can deposit money into an inmate’s account?

Depositor must be on the inmate’s visiting list in order to deposit funds into his/her account; however, a 30-day grace period is given to allow the inmate to put people on his list, during which time anyone can deposit funds.

Do I have to come in person to deposit funds into an inmate’s account?

No, deposits may also be made via mail or electronic/wire transfer.

How do I deposit via mail?

You may send a check, bank draft or money order to:

RI Department of Corrections
Inmate Accounts Office
51 West Road, Bldg. 138
Cranston, RI 02920

Check /money order should be payable to RI Department of Corrections with inmate’s name and ID# on the memo line.

(Note: if you send a self-addressed stamped envelope to the above address and we will send you deposit slips. Use of these deposit slips helps to insure that the funds are deposited in the correct account.)

How do I deposit via electronic/wire transfer?

The Department has a contract with two firms who provide this service. Both services provide the opportunity for you to go to retail outlet in your neighborhood or to their website in order to make a deposit transaction. For more information, contact the companies directly:

Do I need identification to deposit funds?

Only on deposits of $100.00 or more.

What are acceptable forms of identification?

  • Driver’s license
  • State ID
  • Passport

Can I find out how much money is in an inmate’s account?

No, that information is only available to the inmate/account holder.

Can I find out who is on an inmate’s visiting list?

No, that information is private and confidential.

Who do I contact for more information?

Call the Inmate Accounts Unit at (401) 462-2670